Dec. 9, 2005
If we didn’t think that December meant winter here, we were sadly mistaken with the extremely cold temperatures that we’ve been experiencing. Needless to say, this has been unseasonably cold and I’m sure all of our heating bills will reflect the same. Hopefully, it will warm up a little bit this weekend. If it warms up, we might get some frozen precipitation, but as you know, at this time of year, it’s either cold or snow!
As I had mentioned in last week’s Newsletter, I am going to be out of the office on Thursday and Friday of this week, and next Monday and Tuesday, for a few vacation days, so I’m actually dictating this on Wednesday afternoon. Jackie will add any items that come in between now and Friday when we send out the packets.
I’m enclosing the Agenda for the December 13th Council Meeting. The first Council Member voting on the issues will be Council Member Mattox.
We have no public hearings to begin the Agenda, so turning to the Consent Agenda, Resolution #05-369 would award the bids for our water and wastewater treatment plant chemicals for next year. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Purchasing Agent Don LaFontaine, with an attached memorandum from Utilities Superintendent Stephan Brand, with more information on these bids.
Resolution #05-370 would approve a change order for this year’s sidewalk program. This is for additional work that was requested of the contractor. All of this work will be covered by special assessments. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Assistant Public Works Director Scott Erickson, which speaks to this change order.
Resolution #05-371 would authorize the submittal of a brownfield assessment from the Environmental Protection Agency. If we are successful in obtaining this grant, it would be used for clean-up work in the Marion Road/Pearl Avenue redevelopment area. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Community Development Director Jackson Kinney, which contains more information on this grant application.
Resolution #05-372 would grant easements on property on Algoma Boulevard, High Avenue, Pearl Avenue that are owned by the City of Oshkosh for the installation of monitoring wells. The petitioner is requesting that you approve these easements to allow construction of these monitoring wells, which are needed for environmental investigation of the former cleaning facility at 118 High Avenue. The Plan Commission reviewed and unanimously approved of this request. More information on this is included in Jackson’s memorandum.
Weekly Newsletter
December 9, 2005
Page 2
Resolution #05-373 would authorize land disposition to the Redevelopment Authority of parcels of land that are currently owned by the City of Oshkosh at various locations within our redevelopment areas. These properties are currently in the city’s name and need to be transferred over to the Redevelopment Authority. More information on this is included in Jackson’s memorandum.
Resolution #05-374 would approve and execute relocation orders with determination of necessity to acquire property, authorize the acquisition, accept easements, and dedicate street right-of-way for the North Washburn Street project that is contained in the 2006 Capital Improvements Program. This is being requested by the Public Works Department so that we can begin our efforts to acquire the necessary right-of-way for relocating the new Washburn Street. The Plan Commission reviewed and approved this request at their December 6th meeting. More information on this is included in Jackson’s memorandum.
Resolution #05-375 is the renewal of the City Manager’s contract for the period of February 1, 2006 to January 31, 2009. The City Council has asked that I place this on the Agenda for approval. The only change from the current contract is a minor change in the provision under the compensation area where the wording is changed. I’m enclosing a copy of the new contract for your information.
Resolution #05-376 would approve an agreement with Wisconsin Public Service for a rewards program to lower electricity costs for our wastewater treatment plant. This program would allow us to receive a reduction in our electric rates at the wastewater plant by utilizing our new generator facility at certain times during the year. We believe that the savings will be in the area of $35,000 per year. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Utilities Superintendent Stephan Brand, which further explains this program.
Resolution #05-377 would approve the various, miscellaneous licenses, as reviewed and recommended by City Clerk Pam Ubrig and Police Chief Dave Erickson. That concludes the Agenda for next Tuesday evening’s Council Meeting.
Turning to pending ordinances, Ordinance #05-378 would approve various traffic regulations, as recommended by the Traffic Review Advisory Board. I’m again enclosing a memorandum from Transportation Director Mark Huddleston, which explains these changes.
Ordinance #05-379 would approve various parking regulations, as recommended by the Parking Utility Commission. These changes are in response to business owners in the Business Improvement District. I’m enclosing another memorandum from Transportation Director Mark Huddleston, which explains these parking changes.
Ordinance #05-380 would approve an attachment on Washburn Street in the Town of Algoma.The owner of this property is requesting the attachment of approximately 4.573 acres of undeveloped land for the purchase of future commercial development. More information on
Weekly Newsletter
December 9, 2005
Page 3
this is included in Jackson’s memorandum.
Ordinance #05-381 would change the Council Meeting date and time for the last meeting in December of 2006. This change is due to the fact that the second meeting in December of 2006 falls on December 26th, which is a day that City Hall is closed because of the Christmas holiday. We have rescheduled the meeting for Wednesday, December 27th, at 12:00 noon.
We have no new ordinances and we have no pending resolutions.
Turning to new resolutions, Resolution #05-382 would establish the 2006 storm water utility rate. In last week’s packet, I enclosed information from Public Works Director David Patek, which explained the reason for the increase in these storm water utility rates.
We have no Workshop or Executive Session planned after the Council Meeting, to that concludes the Agenda for next Tuesday evening’s Council Meeting. Other items I’m enclosing with this week’s Newsletter include a press release from the Oshkosh Public Museum, announcing a new DVD just released with information on the history of the Apostles Clock. As you know, the clock is one of the most popular items at the Museum and anyone interested can purchase the DVD at the Museum gift shop.
Insofar as minutes are concerned, I’m enclosing the following:
1. Minutes of the November 22nd City Council Meeting.
2. Meeting notice, agenda and background material for the December 13th Traffic
Review Advisory Board meeting, which also includes their Traffic Signal Re-Timing
Program Report.
3. Minutes of the November 14th Advisory Park Board meeting.
4. Minutes of the November 23rd Board of Zoning Appeals meeting.
5. Minutes of the November 9th Landmarks Commission meeting.
Looking at my calendar for next week, as I had mentioned, I will be out of the office on Monday and Tuesday for a few days of vacation. However, I will return for the City Council Meeting at 6:00 p.m. Tuesday evening.
On Wednesday morning, at 9:00 a.m., we will have our weekly staff meeting to discuss various issues and concerns. At 1:00 p.m. that day, we will be having a meeting of our Emergency Management Team. At 4:00 p.m., the Oshkosh Parking Utility Commission will meet. Also Wednesday afternoon, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., a presentation will be given at the Oshkosh Seniors Center regarding the Riverwalk Project.
Weekly Newsletter
December 9, 2005
Page 4
On Thursday afternoon, at 4:00 p.m., I will be attending a meeting of the judges for the Martin Luther King, Jr. Banquet essay contest.
On Friday, I plan on being out of the office for another day of vacation.
That looks like my week so far. I hope everyone has a great weekend. I’m sure everyone is busy with holiday parties and of course, the all-important shopping excursions to area malls!
Respectfully submitted,
Richard A. Wollangk
City Manager
RAW/jdc
As I had mentioned in last week’s Newsletter, I am going to be out of the office on Thursday and Friday of this week, and next Monday and Tuesday, for a few vacation days, so I’m actually dictating this on Wednesday afternoon. Jackie will add any items that come in between now and Friday when we send out the packets.
I’m enclosing the Agenda for the December 13th Council Meeting. The first Council Member voting on the issues will be Council Member Mattox.
We have no public hearings to begin the Agenda, so turning to the Consent Agenda, Resolution #05-369 would award the bids for our water and wastewater treatment plant chemicals for next year. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Purchasing Agent Don LaFontaine, with an attached memorandum from Utilities Superintendent Stephan Brand, with more information on these bids.
Resolution #05-370 would approve a change order for this year’s sidewalk program. This is for additional work that was requested of the contractor. All of this work will be covered by special assessments. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Assistant Public Works Director Scott Erickson, which speaks to this change order.
Resolution #05-371 would authorize the submittal of a brownfield assessment from the Environmental Protection Agency. If we are successful in obtaining this grant, it would be used for clean-up work in the Marion Road/Pearl Avenue redevelopment area. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Community Development Director Jackson Kinney, which contains more information on this grant application.
Resolution #05-372 would grant easements on property on Algoma Boulevard, High Avenue, Pearl Avenue that are owned by the City of Oshkosh for the installation of monitoring wells. The petitioner is requesting that you approve these easements to allow construction of these monitoring wells, which are needed for environmental investigation of the former cleaning facility at 118 High Avenue. The Plan Commission reviewed and unanimously approved of this request. More information on this is included in Jackson’s memorandum.
Weekly Newsletter
December 9, 2005
Page 2
Resolution #05-373 would authorize land disposition to the Redevelopment Authority of parcels of land that are currently owned by the City of Oshkosh at various locations within our redevelopment areas. These properties are currently in the city’s name and need to be transferred over to the Redevelopment Authority. More information on this is included in Jackson’s memorandum.
Resolution #05-374 would approve and execute relocation orders with determination of necessity to acquire property, authorize the acquisition, accept easements, and dedicate street right-of-way for the North Washburn Street project that is contained in the 2006 Capital Improvements Program. This is being requested by the Public Works Department so that we can begin our efforts to acquire the necessary right-of-way for relocating the new Washburn Street. The Plan Commission reviewed and approved this request at their December 6th meeting. More information on this is included in Jackson’s memorandum.
Resolution #05-375 is the renewal of the City Manager’s contract for the period of February 1, 2006 to January 31, 2009. The City Council has asked that I place this on the Agenda for approval. The only change from the current contract is a minor change in the provision under the compensation area where the wording is changed. I’m enclosing a copy of the new contract for your information.
Resolution #05-376 would approve an agreement with Wisconsin Public Service for a rewards program to lower electricity costs for our wastewater treatment plant. This program would allow us to receive a reduction in our electric rates at the wastewater plant by utilizing our new generator facility at certain times during the year. We believe that the savings will be in the area of $35,000 per year. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Utilities Superintendent Stephan Brand, which further explains this program.
Resolution #05-377 would approve the various, miscellaneous licenses, as reviewed and recommended by City Clerk Pam Ubrig and Police Chief Dave Erickson. That concludes the Agenda for next Tuesday evening’s Council Meeting.
Turning to pending ordinances, Ordinance #05-378 would approve various traffic regulations, as recommended by the Traffic Review Advisory Board. I’m again enclosing a memorandum from Transportation Director Mark Huddleston, which explains these changes.
Ordinance #05-379 would approve various parking regulations, as recommended by the Parking Utility Commission. These changes are in response to business owners in the Business Improvement District. I’m enclosing another memorandum from Transportation Director Mark Huddleston, which explains these parking changes.
Ordinance #05-380 would approve an attachment on Washburn Street in the Town of Algoma.The owner of this property is requesting the attachment of approximately 4.573 acres of undeveloped land for the purchase of future commercial development. More information on
Weekly Newsletter
December 9, 2005
Page 3
this is included in Jackson’s memorandum.
Ordinance #05-381 would change the Council Meeting date and time for the last meeting in December of 2006. This change is due to the fact that the second meeting in December of 2006 falls on December 26th, which is a day that City Hall is closed because of the Christmas holiday. We have rescheduled the meeting for Wednesday, December 27th, at 12:00 noon.
We have no new ordinances and we have no pending resolutions.
Turning to new resolutions, Resolution #05-382 would establish the 2006 storm water utility rate. In last week’s packet, I enclosed information from Public Works Director David Patek, which explained the reason for the increase in these storm water utility rates.
We have no Workshop or Executive Session planned after the Council Meeting, to that concludes the Agenda for next Tuesday evening’s Council Meeting. Other items I’m enclosing with this week’s Newsletter include a press release from the Oshkosh Public Museum, announcing a new DVD just released with information on the history of the Apostles Clock. As you know, the clock is one of the most popular items at the Museum and anyone interested can purchase the DVD at the Museum gift shop.
Insofar as minutes are concerned, I’m enclosing the following:
1. Minutes of the November 22nd City Council Meeting.
2. Meeting notice, agenda and background material for the December 13th Traffic
Review Advisory Board meeting, which also includes their Traffic Signal Re-Timing
Program Report.
3. Minutes of the November 14th Advisory Park Board meeting.
4. Minutes of the November 23rd Board of Zoning Appeals meeting.
5. Minutes of the November 9th Landmarks Commission meeting.
Looking at my calendar for next week, as I had mentioned, I will be out of the office on Monday and Tuesday for a few days of vacation. However, I will return for the City Council Meeting at 6:00 p.m. Tuesday evening.
On Wednesday morning, at 9:00 a.m., we will have our weekly staff meeting to discuss various issues and concerns. At 1:00 p.m. that day, we will be having a meeting of our Emergency Management Team. At 4:00 p.m., the Oshkosh Parking Utility Commission will meet. Also Wednesday afternoon, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., a presentation will be given at the Oshkosh Seniors Center regarding the Riverwalk Project.
Weekly Newsletter
December 9, 2005
Page 4
On Thursday afternoon, at 4:00 p.m., I will be attending a meeting of the judges for the Martin Luther King, Jr. Banquet essay contest.
On Friday, I plan on being out of the office for another day of vacation.
That looks like my week so far. I hope everyone has a great weekend. I’m sure everyone is busy with holiday parties and of course, the all-important shopping excursions to area malls!
Respectfully submitted,
Richard A. Wollangk
City Manager
RAW/jdc

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home