Sunday, January 01, 2006

Dec. 16, 2005

This appears to be the year when all those who dream of a White Christmas will be satisfied. With last week’s cold spell and this week’s snow, Mother Nature is not going to let us forget what time of the year it is! It doesn’t look like it’s going to be one of those years where we’re playing golf around Christmas. The golf courses have been closed for some time as they are covered in snow. The good news, however, is that the businesses that provide snow removal equipment and outdoor winter recreational sporting equipment should have excellent sales for
the holiday season.

We only have one more week until the Christmas holiday. I don’t know where this past month has gone. I need to get my holiday shopping accomplished. We are also reminded that the fall semester at UW-Oshkosh is coming to a close with the graduation scheduled for tomorrow morning. My son will be one of those graduates tomorrow, thereby finishing his undergraduate education. It’s a great feeling to have your last child complete college.

Wednesday evening, at the Seniors Center, the Planning Department held a public open house to discuss and present the plans for the Riverwalk proposal. Even with the weather that night, we had an excellent turn-out with almost 40 people coming to view the plans and comment on them. Most comments were very positive and supportive of the Riverwalk proposal. Of course, the City Council will have a Workshop after the January 10th Council Meeting to add your comments on the proposal. It will then come to the City Council for approval of the concept at the January 24th Council Meeting.

Since we have no Council Meeting or Workshop scheduled for next week, I have no Agenda to discuss, so this Newsletter will be quite short. Items I’m enclosing with today’s Newsletter include minutes of meetings and they are as follows:
1. Minutes of the December 6th Plan Commission meeting.
2. Minutes of the December 13th Traffic Review Advisory Board meeting.
3. Minutes of the November 21st Housing Authority meeting.
4. Minutes of the November 15th Downtown BID Board meeting.
5. Minutes of the December 8th Downtown BID Board annual meeting.
6.. Minutes of the October 26th Board of Health meeting.

The last item I’m enclosing is the Monthly Report, which gives you all of the departmental statistics for the month of October, 2005.

Looking at my calendar for next week, on Monday, at 12:00 noon, I will be attending a meeting of the Conflict Resolution Board.

On Wednesday morning, at 9:00 a.m., we will have our weekly staff meeting to discuss and plan the Agenda for the December 27th Council Meeting. Later that afternoon, we will be meeting with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation to discuss plans for connecting highways in our area.

On Thursday, we will be putting together the final Council packet of the year, along with the Agenda for the December 27th City Council Meeting. I will also be attending the first DARE graduation ceremony of the season at Roosevelt School at 12:45 p.m. Thursday afternoon, I will be taping The City Manager’s Report to discuss the Agenda for the December 27th City Council Meeting. We are taping the show at this time due to the fact that City Hall will be closed on Friday and Monday, December 23rd and 26th, for the Christmas holiday.

As I had mentioned, next week will be the final City Council packet that will be sent out for the year. As in the past, the week between Christmas and New Year’s, Jackie is out of the office and we have very little information to send along. The next Council packet coming your way will be on Friday, January 6th.

That looks like my week so far. I hope everyone has a great winter weekend!

Respectfully submitted,
Richard A. Wollangk
City Manager
RAW/jdc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home