Dec. 22, 2005
It’s official! Winter has begun! I think someone forgot to tell Mother Nature because I think winter actually started back in November. Yesterday was the longest day of the year. The good news is that starting today, the days are getting longer, which only means we’re that much closer to spring.
Speaking of winter, this is also that time of the year when we receive a lot of complaints about sidewalk shoveling. So, if any of you receive such complaints, please contact our Public Works Department and we will make sure the sidewalks are shoveled. We send someone from our engineering staff to take a picture of the unshoveled sidewalk. We then notify our contractor and they will remove the snow from the sidewalk. The property owner is then billed the actual cost from the contractor, plus a $10.00 administration charge for handling the time spent on
checking the property and taking care of the billing. Hopefully, our residents will take responsibility to make sure snow is removed from the sidewalks within 24 hours after the end of the snowfall.
I’m enclosing the Agenda for next Tuesday evening’s Council Meeting. The first Council Member voting on the issues will be Council Member Bain.
We have no public hearings to begin the Agenda. Turning to the Consent Agenda, Resolution #05-383 would approve a lease agreement with the new Public Access Radio Station that is going to be housed in our Local Access Channel Studios. Of course, the call letters for this station will be WOCT, and the Friends of OCAT are the sponsoring organization. This resolution would approve the lease to use the space by WOCT in the OCAT Studios. More information on this is included in the memorandum that I’m enclosing from OCAT Director Jon
Urben
.
Resolution #05-384 would approve an amendment to the engineering services agreement for the Washburn Street reconstruction project. This agreement would add the related right-ofway acquisition services to the current contract that we have with Gremmer & Associates. Gremmer has been working on the design work for the reconstruction of Washburn Street. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Public Works Director David Patek, which explains this amendment.
Resolution #05-385 would waive the bids and approve a three year lease for CO2 monitors that would be connected to the heart monitors that we have for our paramedic service. These are part of the equipment that we need for the study that we are involved in with the Medical College of Wisconsin. The cost for this equipment would be provided as part of our contract for participation in that study. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Fire Chief Tim Franz, which further explains this lease.
Resolution #05-386 would disallow a claim, as recommended by our insurance carrier.
Resolution #05-387 would approve the various, miscellaneous licenses, as reviewed and recommended by Police Chief David Erickson and City Clerk Pam Ubrig. That concludes the Consent Agenda for next Tuesday evening’s Council Meeting.
We have no pending ordinances. Turning to new ordinances, Ordinance #05-388 would amend our parking regulations. This change would create six, ten-hour metered parking stalls in the Otter Avenue parking lot at the corner of Otter and State Streets. That lot is currently all 90- minute, free parking. This was a request from a downtown business owner. Also recommended in this ordinance is to change the two-hour metered parking on Oregon Street on both sides, from 6th Avenue to 12th Avenue, to two-hour, free parking. This would remove the parking meters from the on-street parking on Oregon Street. This is the result of a petition that was submitted by the Oregon Street merchants. Both of these requests were recommended by the Parking Utility Commission. More information on this is included in a memorandum that I’m enclosing from Transportation Director Mark Huddleston.
Ordinance #05-389 would approve various traffic regulations, as recommended by the Traffic Review Advisory Board. I’m enclosing another memorandum from Transportation Director Mark Huddleston, which explains these changes.
We have no pending resolutions and we have no new resolutions. We also have no Workshop or Executive Session planned, so that concludes the short Agenda for next Tuesday evening’s Council Meeting.
Other items I’m enclosing with today’s Newsletter include the minutes of the December 13th City Council Meeting.
I’m also enclosing the latest issue of The Wisconsin Taxpayer, which features an article on the
total taxes paid in Wisconsin in 2005.
The last item I’m enclosing is the final copy of the Capital Improvements Program for 2006-2010. This, of course, includes all of the changes that you made during the Workshop on the CIP budget, with the addition of the various streets to next year’s program.
Of course, as you’ve already realized, we are sending this packet out on Thursday instead of Friday because City Hall is closed tomorrow, December 23rd, and on Monday, December 26th, for the Christmas holiday.
As I mentioned in last week’s Newsletter, this will be the final Newsletter and packet that we will be sending out to you for the year. Since there is little activity in the week between Christmas and New Year’s, we do not send out a packet during this time. The next packet you will be receiving will be on January 6th.
Looking at my calendar for next week, as I’ve already mentioned, Monday, December 26th, City Hall is closed for the Christmas holiday.
On Tuesday, of course, the City Council will meet at 6:00 p.m.
I will be out of the office the remainder of the week for some final vacation days for this year.
Jackie is out of the office as well.
That looks like my very short week next week. I hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year’s holiday. If you are traveling during the holidays, I hope your travels are safe. Just a reminder to you, the New Year’s holiday will be celebrated on Monday, January 2nd, so City Hall will also be closed on that day.
Respectfully submitted,
Richard A. Wollangk
City Manager
RAW/jdc
Speaking of winter, this is also that time of the year when we receive a lot of complaints about sidewalk shoveling. So, if any of you receive such complaints, please contact our Public Works Department and we will make sure the sidewalks are shoveled. We send someone from our engineering staff to take a picture of the unshoveled sidewalk. We then notify our contractor and they will remove the snow from the sidewalk. The property owner is then billed the actual cost from the contractor, plus a $10.00 administration charge for handling the time spent on
checking the property and taking care of the billing. Hopefully, our residents will take responsibility to make sure snow is removed from the sidewalks within 24 hours after the end of the snowfall.
I’m enclosing the Agenda for next Tuesday evening’s Council Meeting. The first Council Member voting on the issues will be Council Member Bain.
We have no public hearings to begin the Agenda. Turning to the Consent Agenda, Resolution #05-383 would approve a lease agreement with the new Public Access Radio Station that is going to be housed in our Local Access Channel Studios. Of course, the call letters for this station will be WOCT, and the Friends of OCAT are the sponsoring organization. This resolution would approve the lease to use the space by WOCT in the OCAT Studios. More information on this is included in the memorandum that I’m enclosing from OCAT Director Jon
Urben
.
Resolution #05-384 would approve an amendment to the engineering services agreement for the Washburn Street reconstruction project. This agreement would add the related right-ofway acquisition services to the current contract that we have with Gremmer & Associates. Gremmer has been working on the design work for the reconstruction of Washburn Street. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Public Works Director David Patek, which explains this amendment.
Resolution #05-385 would waive the bids and approve a three year lease for CO2 monitors that would be connected to the heart monitors that we have for our paramedic service. These are part of the equipment that we need for the study that we are involved in with the Medical College of Wisconsin. The cost for this equipment would be provided as part of our contract for participation in that study. I’m enclosing a memorandum from Fire Chief Tim Franz, which further explains this lease.
Resolution #05-386 would disallow a claim, as recommended by our insurance carrier.
Resolution #05-387 would approve the various, miscellaneous licenses, as reviewed and recommended by Police Chief David Erickson and City Clerk Pam Ubrig. That concludes the Consent Agenda for next Tuesday evening’s Council Meeting.
We have no pending ordinances. Turning to new ordinances, Ordinance #05-388 would amend our parking regulations. This change would create six, ten-hour metered parking stalls in the Otter Avenue parking lot at the corner of Otter and State Streets. That lot is currently all 90- minute, free parking. This was a request from a downtown business owner. Also recommended in this ordinance is to change the two-hour metered parking on Oregon Street on both sides, from 6th Avenue to 12th Avenue, to two-hour, free parking. This would remove the parking meters from the on-street parking on Oregon Street. This is the result of a petition that was submitted by the Oregon Street merchants. Both of these requests were recommended by the Parking Utility Commission. More information on this is included in a memorandum that I’m enclosing from Transportation Director Mark Huddleston.
Ordinance #05-389 would approve various traffic regulations, as recommended by the Traffic Review Advisory Board. I’m enclosing another memorandum from Transportation Director Mark Huddleston, which explains these changes.
We have no pending resolutions and we have no new resolutions. We also have no Workshop or Executive Session planned, so that concludes the short Agenda for next Tuesday evening’s Council Meeting.
Other items I’m enclosing with today’s Newsletter include the minutes of the December 13th City Council Meeting.
I’m also enclosing the latest issue of The Wisconsin Taxpayer, which features an article on the
total taxes paid in Wisconsin in 2005.
The last item I’m enclosing is the final copy of the Capital Improvements Program for 2006-2010. This, of course, includes all of the changes that you made during the Workshop on the CIP budget, with the addition of the various streets to next year’s program.
Of course, as you’ve already realized, we are sending this packet out on Thursday instead of Friday because City Hall is closed tomorrow, December 23rd, and on Monday, December 26th, for the Christmas holiday.
As I mentioned in last week’s Newsletter, this will be the final Newsletter and packet that we will be sending out to you for the year. Since there is little activity in the week between Christmas and New Year’s, we do not send out a packet during this time. The next packet you will be receiving will be on January 6th.
Looking at my calendar for next week, as I’ve already mentioned, Monday, December 26th, City Hall is closed for the Christmas holiday.
On Tuesday, of course, the City Council will meet at 6:00 p.m.
I will be out of the office the remainder of the week for some final vacation days for this year.
Jackie is out of the office as well.
That looks like my very short week next week. I hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year’s holiday. If you are traveling during the holidays, I hope your travels are safe. Just a reminder to you, the New Year’s holiday will be celebrated on Monday, January 2nd, so City Hall will also be closed on that day.
Respectfully submitted,
Richard A. Wollangk
City Manager
RAW/jdc

2 Comments:
When the city manager says he is enclosing something, why can't this be "technologically updated?"
Isn't there a way to either post the attachments here as pdfs, post the textual contents, or post the pdfs on the cities website and then insert hyperlinks to them?
Unless you can actually see the attachments, the weekly memo really doesn't mean much to the average person. I'd like to see the rest of it...
I would like to see more, too.
There certainly is no technological barrier that prevents all of this information from being made available electronically.
I think citizens should ask the city manager, or members of the Council, to make sure all of this information gets put on the Web.
Post a Comment
<< Home